Job BriefThe incumbent will play an integral role in the design, development, testing and implementation of product packaging that excites the customer (retailer/e-tailer) and consumer with an eye toward visual appeal, ease of use and cost/value. He/she also reviews and improves existing packaging designs.
- Oversees and manages the complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, testing and commercialization.
- Serves as the subject matter expert on many types of packaging structures, including paperboard, corrugate, flexible film, plastic, etc. and how they work within the production process.
- Develops and implements comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds customer specifications.
- Works cross-functionally with Marketing, Sales, Purchasing, R&D, Manufacturing, Logistics, Finance and outside vendors/partners.
- Delivers against key project objectives, including costs and timing.
- Provides all packaging specifications in a timely and accurate manner.
- Constructively collaborates and helps trouble-shoot and resolve conflicts.
- Improves company processes to improve effectiveness and reduce lead times.
- Ideates and implements cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
- Works with CAD and/or other programs as needed for package development, pallet optimization, renderings, etc.
- Troubleshoots new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Works with Purchasing team as relevant to optimize vendor quality and delivery.
- Works with the Manufacturing to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for production/machinability.
- Develops positive relationships with internal constituents and support teams.
- Delivers with a commitment to excellence and a dissatisfaction with the status-quo.
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree in Packaging Engineering or related field is required.
- 5-7 years packaging engineering experience within a CPG company environment and well versed at working with and influencing multifunctional teams and outside partners to drive excellence in development and execution.
- New product launch experience needed with ability to coordination and complete qualification for new package designs and materials along with integrated systems.
- Accountability and ownership: do what you say you’re going to do and feel accountable for results.
- Excellent follow-up, self motivated and a bias towards action.
- Strong project management, prioritization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to thrive in situations of complexity and ambiguity.
- Team player with ability to work with all functional players and understands how to navigate; foster teamwork and enthusiasm and celebrate success
- Flexibility to step outside the bounds of normal roles to help get it done.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal and organization skills; and, strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to influence people, including building high levels of trust and commitment.
- Exceptional performance and record of achievement.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Outlook, with high levels of proficiency in Excel.
Employee BenefitsWe offer a comprehensive, flexible employee benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage, life insurance, an employer-matched 401(K) plan, vacation and PTO time, discretionary bonus and of course CANDY!