Assistant Purchasing Manager
Job Brief• Primary responsibility of directly managing the stock purchase agreements, future orders, pricing management database, and specialty purchases to support company needs at all facilities.
• Primarily responsible for assisting with overseeing all daily purchasing activities at all facilities as they relate to raw materials/packaging to support the manufacturing environment.
• Interfaces with plant management, production planning management, plant controller, warehousing (including co-packers/co-manufacturers) and inventory control.
• Support Director of Purchasing and overall Purchasing Department with inventory management of assigned products, components, and supplies by verifying demand need, preparing, and forwarding purchase orders as well as verifying timely receipt of purchased items to support all company operations.
- ws inventory position on assigned stock products on a daily basis for all company assigned production locations to ensure that production demand and safety stock levels as assigned in MRP and company policy are met.
- Analyze inventory position of assigned stock products at all company locations in an effort to move excess inventory, when applicable, prior to placing new purchase orders for product from suppliers.
- Recommends and prepares purchase orders by verifying stock status, specifications, and price including recommendations to minimize costs for proper run rates at suppliers.
- Obtains purchased items by forwarding approved purchase orders to suppliers, monitoring status of purchase orders, expediting purchase orders, and rescheduling purchase orders as needed.
- Verifies suppliers have received purchase orders, and have provided signed confirmation within assigned guidelines.
- Maintains required documentation (physical and/or electronic) of purchase orders and supplier confirmations.
- Monitors and resolves issues with suppliers on any issues involving purchase orders, stock status, and/or receiving locations as necessary.
- Assures uninterrupted and efficient flow of requested materials and services, and properly alerts Purchasing management of any issues negatively affecting company that are not able to be resolved.
- Keep abreast of changes affecting both the supply of, and demand for, needed products and materials.
- Keeps information accessible by sorting and filing documents.
- Monitors, assists, and administers supplier purchase agreements, purchase pricing, and all associated cost elements.
- Reviews and processes approved purchase requisitions for non-stock/service items as company needs are determined.
- Review and processes purchase orders for all finished goods support packaging items (IE. pallets, shrink-wrap, etc.) as needed.
- Creates daily, weekly, and monthly reports (future order reports) as needed and/or determined by management for internal use and/or issuance to suppliers.
- Reviews inventory levels for providing recommendations for slow moving/obsolete products for potential use or disposition.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities including gaining familiarity with supplier base.
- Continuously assist Purchasing Department in identifying potential new suppliers as well as identify current suppliers no longer in or struggling to meet company compliance standards.
- Participate in corporate end of year inventories as required by performing multiple tasks that could include counting warehouse stock, data entry, or other administrative tasks.
- ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review invoices for discrepancies or over charges.
- Review shortages/overages that are out of compliance on PO receipts, and report such to Purchasing Manager.
- Cross train with other department personnel as needed or as determined by management.
- Build positive customer and supplier relationships, works effectively with team members, peers and management both internally and externally.
- Report food safety and quality issues to management and SQFP
- Serves as the point of contact with vendors and suppliers related to contracts and pricing
- Assist with education and development of purchasing department staff.
- Research, recommend and develop new vendor opportunities and relationships
- Develop contingency supply relationships
- High School education or equivalent is required
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree desired
- 8 -10 years purchasing experience required; prior experience in the food industry and/or a manufacturing setting highly desired
- Must possess effective negotiating skills; be proficient with Microsoft Office, EXCEL, Outlook and other business applications
- Organizational skills for efficient office control are mandatory
- Ability needed to communicate professionally with associates at all levels of the company as well with external contacts
- Must have a proven record of sound business decision making abilities
- Willing to be trained
- Ability to read, speaks, and writes English is essential.
Employee BenefitsWe offer a comprehensive, flexible employee benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage, life insurance, an employer-matched 401(K) plan, vacation and PTO time, discretionary bonus and of course CANDY!